December 4, 2010

Message Outline; Striving for the Mastery

Speaking of Striving for the Mastery, here's an outline of a message I recently preached, if you're interested.  The topic of self-mastery however, should be of interest to everyone, whether a Christian or not, Preacher, congregant, anyone;  self-analysis with the intent to improve how we live, how we serve (minister) and how we treat others.

To me, this is the true essence of pioneering;  finding solutions for problems and challenges; making a road where there is no road.  There are many who say they pioneered or are pioneering churches, but in fact they sat/ sit there lonely, overcome by challenges. The true pioneer takes a project through all its obstacles to success.  If you think you have arrived, you haven't even begun.



TEXT:  I Cor. 9 (25)
BR:      I Cor. 9 (19-27)
19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more. 20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law; 21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law. 22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. 23 And this I do for the gospel’s sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you
24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway. 
MASTERY
The authority of a master : dominion;  The upper hand in a contest or competition : superiority, ascendancy;  possession or display of great skill or technique.
Skill or knowledge that makes one master of a subject : command.  
INTRO:  There are many passages of scripture that instruct us to work at improving ourselves in every area of our lives.  Besides instances like Paul saying “grow in the grace and knowledge of God,” etc., the II Epistle of Peter begins by telling us that the knowledge of God has given us ALL THINGS that pertain unto life and godliness, and that God has called us to Glory and Virtue.  
THAT’S ALL THERE IS TO IT!! He has given us ALL!! But then he says (5) “Beside this.........???”  I have to do something too?  Yes, here’s few of those things we must do.
I STRIVE
  1. ...make great efforts to achieve or obtain something
(5) Beside this, GIVING ALL DILIGENCE...
DILIGENCE means... careful and persistent work or effort
So these things listed don’t just come “bundled” in a package that comes with being saved nor with having the knowledge of God. 
II ADD
II Peter1 says to be diligent in “adding” to your faith.  You must do this... 
Look at verse 8
*You must do this to be fruitful
*You must do this to ensure the stability of your calling and election
*You must do this to get to heaven (11)
*You must do this to keep from FALLING (10)
III RUN
( ) ...so run that ye may obtain
2 Pet. 1 (9) “He that lacketh...”
This man isn’t going to obtain anything, because he’s moving backward; he lacks them, because he hasn’t ADDED them, or he FORGOT them.
Be Temperate
He had no obligation to anyone (I Cor. 9:19) “though I be free from all men.”  Yet he became a servant, and did whatever was necessary in terms of self-restraint, to reach others.  He wasn’t a tin-pot dictator with a bully-pulpit, he actually LOVED and therefore SERVED.
  1. You must strive lawfully
2 Tim. 2 (1-5)
Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. 2 And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. 3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. 5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully.”
See 26 and 27
*Incorruptible crown  (eternity minded)
*Some people fight but fight uncertainly (26)
*When a punch misses, it takes strength out of you
I KEEP UNDER my BODY
(I KEEP MY BODY UNDER)  He restrained himself from even things it was okay to do, if it helped someone else.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir this message was a great blessing to me when you first preached(God was dealing with me before you even started preaching, I was just waiting for the alter call). I enjoyed reading it again. God's wonderful word is always a blessing to both read and to hear preached.

God bless you richly
Bro R.W. Larson

Anonymous said...

There was saying "Where is the beef". He is another one, "Where is the life". I read the outline: boring and lifeless. Elevating man's potential and psycholgy of self development makes sense to the carnal mind... but sure is boring.

Hope this bring a wonderful ray of of humility to your soul--no harm intended

mck said...

Hi and thanks for your comments.

What a contrast. Well, the truly humble are those who seek to better themselves as the bible instructs in these passages. That message outline is 90% scripture, I'm sorry that's boring to you. If you see no life in the bible, that's just sad.

M C Kekel

Jason Fulmer said...

That message was a blessing sir, thank you. (I think we know where their "beef" is) - Bro. Fulmer

mck said...

Hi Bro. Fulmer,

Thank you. Yes we know, but he doesn't know where life is it seems? It takes a special species.

Anonymous said...

the life is within a person. even if someone that has not life teaches something, to someone that has life, there will be a benefit received.

Anonymous said...

Very good message. It was not boring and it had plenty of life in it, but what made it reallllly good was every part of it was and is true and very needed.

Merrice Nash said...

Apparently the readers hide was peeled, rather than admiting it is true and a blessing, it was easier to excuse ones faults yet, it does not take away the guilt.

I was there and it was a good message, challenging and motivating with the spirit of God moving and meeting our needs.
Think on this: the bible tells us to encourage one another - I think this would be the heart and desire of a true Christian to share encouraging comments, thoughts, etc no matter what...

Bless you,

Anonymous said...

Any person or message that encourages

the masses to reach greater heights,

will encounter opposition.

A man once said, “Great spirits have

always encountered violent opposition

from mediocre minds.”

:)

Sis Prentice said...

Each new year I like to have a theme or phrase for that year. I was thinking about this year's theme and remembered the title for spring conference "Striving for the Mastery". It just fits my goals for myself this year and looking forward to conference as well!

I found it quite humorous the commenter that asked where is the life in this post. Evidently, they haven't met Jesus = life and find the scriptures boring.

Those that seek to better themselves will soon find others, who want to remain the same, become their critics.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your messages in this forum. However, I am sure...even though this was a message of a serious nature...you always have a way to add a touch of humor and character to it that help to ease the plow...so to speak...lol...which wasn't depicted in your outline. Will the messages one day be available in podcast form for those who would like to see/hear the messages?